The Protochips shadow mask enables precise, reproducible deposition of your sample to a targeted location. The shadow mask is compatible with all Poseidon, Atmosphere, and Fusion E-chips* and works with most physical vapor deposition methods (sputtering, e-beam evaporation, thermal evaporation) and drop casting. Using the shadow mask as part of your sample prep routine will aid with:
- Prevention of accidental E-chip shorting that occurs from sample spread
- Concentrating more sample in the viewing area to ensure there is plenty present for analysis
- Keeping spacers on closed-cell E-chips clean to prevent leaks
The shadow mask package contains: shadow mask plate with lid, sample pack of mask E-chips (10 total mask E-chips), set of 10 blank E-chips to fill unused pockets in the plate (to prevent sample build-up in the pockets).
The sample pack of mask E-chips comes with to mask designs: a square opening and a narrow opening. While either one can be used for many applications, the square opening is recommended for use with Fusion heating and Atmosphere heating E-chips, and the narrow opening is recommended for use with Poseidon E-chips and Fusion electrical E-chips.
- Shadow Mask plate and lid are made of PEEK
- Max temperature recommendation for the plate and lid: 100C
- Size of mask plate and lid: (70 L x 35 W x 12 H) mm
- Vacuum compatible
- Mask E-chips openings: Square - 120 x 120 µm | Narrow - 120 µm x 240 µm
*The FIB-optimized E-chip is not to be used with the Shadow Mask. Please use the FIB stub with this E-chip instead.